Gisburn Primary School www.gisburn.lancsngfl.ac.uk

| Rimington & Middop | | Paythorne | | Horton |

<< Go back

History Pages


See also [Gisburne Park Photographs][Ribblesdales][Articles by Dorothy Taylor]

Gisburne Park

Gisburne Park was built by the Lister family in the 18th century. Wild horneless white cattle grazed in the grounds of the park. In the 19th century the cattle became tame and decreased in numbers to around seven or eight animals, these were kept on the estate and became more and more "in bred". Eventually only bulls were born and the Gisburne "White Bulls" died out by 1859. The two lodges at the entrance to the park are of beautifu1 Gothic architecture, richly ornamented with figures and pinnacles carved with the greatest .taste from designs of a former Lord Ribblesdale.

Sika deer were brought to the area by Lord Ribblesdale after the local population of fallow deer which were hunted by the Ribblesdale Buckhounds declined. The sika were imported from Powercourt in Ireland and initially were emparked within the grounds of Gisburn Park Mansion. The idea was to transport and release them at the hunting grounds and then they would be pursued, captured and returned to the park. The sika did not provide good sport as its defence is to make a short dash to cover and after a time the Buckhounds were disbanded and the sika became feral in the area.

The public were allowed free access to the park grounds until 1880, when it was closed to visitors due to "continual disorderly behaviour by drunken "riff-raff".

The Hindley family became resident at Gisbune Park. One of the stained glass windows in the north side of the Church is dedicated to the late John Reginald Hindley, and depicts the fact that he was a great horseman.

In October 1985, Gisburne Park, the grade 1 listed Georgian country home, was converted to an independent private hospital and rehabilitation centre. The hospital retains much of its original character and charm, including beautiful cornices mouldings and plaster work.

See also [Gisburne Park Photographs][Ribblesdales][Articles by Dorothy Taylor]

 

GO BACK TO PREVIOUS PAGE