It is hoped in the near future to place all church yard memorial inscriptions online
THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
EAST WINDOW [Church Windows Photos]
This was given by a member of the Lister family in memory of Rev. John Fleming Parker, in 1872. Prior to this, there was a window as illustrated in the design to be found framed in the Ribblesdale Chapel. If you look carefully at the glass in the first window of this Chapel, you can see that it is made up out of fragments of this medieval glass. Again, you can see this medieval stained glass in the window near the organ in the north aisle - this is of a weeping saint, possibly 15th century work. The early east window
consisted of three angels holding shields and St- Andrew's cross.
Other Stained Glass Windows are -
SOUTH EAST WINDOW dedicated to Stephen Simpson 1945.
NORTH SIDE WINDOW to Gertrude Hindley died 1949, 1949, given by her husband Harold Hindley.
THE SIDE WINDOW near west end of north asile, dedicated to John Reginald Hindley, died 1972, a keen horseman, as depicted in the window, given by his widow and, family.
Also, the BAPTISTRY WINDOW in memory of the Whippe family.
THE FOUR HATCHMENTS
Two above the Choir Stalls and two on the walls of the Nave are the originals of the four Lord Ribblesdales.
In 1794, Thomas Lister raised 'The Yorkshire Light Dragoons and Yeomanry', designated by the title 'Yorkshire West Riding Cavalry'. For his patriotic services, Mr Lister was raised to peerage under the title 'Lora Ribblesdale' in 1797. The men of Yorkshire West Riding Cavalry were engaged in the Napoleonic wars. Two sons of the 4th Lord Ribblesdale were killed in action, one in the Boer War and the other in the Great War 1. The 4th Lord Ribblesdale died on 21st October 1925, and he was buried in the family vault with his ancestors under the north aisle near the organ. A memorial is to be found in the Ribblesdale Chapel; thus ended a noble and distinguished line.
The four Hatchments were renovated in 1984.
INSCRIPTION ON THE ASSHETON MEMORIAL, GISBURN CHURCH
Here lyeth interred the body of Sir John Assheton of Whalley Abbey in ye county of Lancaster. Bart. 10th son of Sir Ralph Assheton. Bart. who lived to enjoy ye honor and estate, and dyed without issue ye ninth of June 1697 in the 76th year of his age.
Here also Wife ye body of Cathrine, his wife, daughter to Sir Richard Fletcher, of Hutton in the county of Cumberland. Bart. Relict of Thomas Lister of Arnoldsbigging in the county of York Esq. who departed this life the 25th Nay 1676, in the 64th year of age.
Thomas Lister now of Arnoldsbigging, Esq. to express his gratitude to the said Sir John Assheton , his kind and generous benefactor, erected this monument in 1706.
The oldest in the north aisle to John Asseton 1706 details of the inscription can be found above. Several are to be found in the Ribblesdale Chapel in memory of the Lister family and the Ribblesdales.
On NORTH CYLINDRICAL PILLAR a plaque to Ellen Burton 1720.
In the SANCTUARY a brass tablet to Richard Wright , a, former Vicar. In the floor of the north aisle a tablet to Richard Jones 1867 and another simply stating 'Peel 1865 '. On the north wall, one to Ignatius Ingham dated 1865. Two erected by Lord Ribblesdale for long service. James Croasdale 1852 and Thomas Chew dated 1895. Plaque in the centre marks the vault of the Lancaster family.
"A History of The Village and Church of Gisburn"
4th Edition 1978